Thursday, February 16, 2012

Falkor 5/19/2008-2/15/2012

I can't even believe that I have to write this post. It is with a heavy heart that I share with our blog friends that we lost our beloved Falkor yesterday. Everything was normal yesterday morning....the dogs happily ate their breakfast, sniffed around the yard for a while, and then snuggled up by the fire together. I came home from dropping my son off at school and as Falkor was walking in the kitchen blood started to pour from his nose and he slowly collapsed to the floor. I was able to get him up but he was very wobbly and weak. I got him into the van and as I drove to the vet Falkor was very quiet in the back. When we arrived at the vet and the staff came out to help me unload him. As we were unloading him the vet couldn't find a heartbeat. They tried CPR but couldn't resuscitate him. The vet found that he had a tumor on his spleen (hemangiosarcoma) that had ruptured and caused him to bleed out. He had no symptoms...we had no warning. :(

To say I am shocked and saddened is a huge understatement. I feel cheated and I am angry about it. The reality is slowly sinking in and I feel lost. The house is way too quite, it feels empty.

I will write a proper tribute for Falkor once I am able to gather myself a bit. There is a huge hole in my heart and it just hurts too much right now.

Hug your dogs tight!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very, very sorry to hear this. Falkor had a wonderful life with you, and I loved reading about him through the blog.

Hugs to you and Famke.

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

OMMFG - I am so sorry! I am absolutely shocked. I'm SO sorry for you and your family. Falkor was an AMAZING boy and it's so unfair that he's gone so soon. I loved reading all about his adventures, but I'm most grateful to him for introducing you and I. Please let me know if there's anything you ever need. He was a very lucky guy to have you all as his family, and he knew he was surrounded by your love at all times.

brooke said...

My heart breaks for you and your sudden loss. I can't imagine what you are going through, but know we have you in our thoughts.
Big hugs and giant Dane kisses from Seattle.

Megan said...

HUGS to you and your family!

:(

tervnmal said...

Jennifer, I am so so so sorry for your loss. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I remember meeting you and Falkor at the Iowa State Fair open dog show a few years ago - he was capering around outside the ring, being a nut. I thought "What a cool dog!"

Kathie R said...

OMG Jennifer - What a terrible shock to have that happen. I am so sorry to hear that. I will be remembering Falkor as such a cool dog and so 'up' and happy when you were training and trialing in rally and obedience. I know he will be missed terribly by you and your family.

Lindsay said...

Jennifer, I'm only just now reading this and getting caught up! My heart is really with you and your family. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. I wish you as much comfort as you can find at this time.

LongStory said...

Jen - I know i'm WAY behind here but i haven't been keeping up since I had to find a new home for Prime since it's been painful to keep up. I was just feeling nostalgic and came to poke around and found this. I cried. I am SO TERRIBLY sorry. It pains me to not have prime around every day but i take solice in the fact that he has an amazing new home. The fact that you had to deal with this saddens my heart. I hope you are recovering the best you can.

Much Love,
Mary