Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I just *wub* my sister!


As you can see from the photo Falkor just loves his lil sister. They are just way too cute together!

Falkor and I started back up member classes at our obedience club two weeks ago and I think we are both very happy to be back in class. We are taking a proofing class with our dear friend Shannon and we are also taking an intro to formal retrieving class. The classes are going very well so far and I continue to be impressed with Falkor's can-do attitude. In the proofing class Shannon has been coming with some really unique proofing exercises and I think the class has been great for our team building. We did one exercise with having the dog do a stand stay, you walk out in front like you would for a SFE, and then you squeak a squeaky toy under your foot. It was a total riot to see the expression on the dogs' faces! We have also been working on recalls with lots of different distractions and that has been super for Falkor.

I am really excited about the formal retrieving class because Falkor is the first dog I have ever taught a formal retrieve. He is doing AWESOME with what we have started with ("holding" lots and lots of different things in his mouth) and I am really proud of him. We are doing a team approach to the training and we are teamed up with Shannon which is great because Falkor adores her. I will say the logistics of physically handling a Great Dane for training the retrieve is interesting. LOL There is a whole lotta head/mouth to hold on to. Hehe

Falkor has been exhibiting some anxiety in various situations, which is unusual for him, so we have been working on some games and ideas from the wonderful book "Control Unleashed". I have already seen some dramatic change and we just started working on the stuff in the book! I highly recommend it for anyone with a dog that is excitable, anxious or in any way reactive. I don't consider Falkor reactive but he can be VERY excitable in certain situations and I think the games in the book will be very helpful for us.

We have also been having a great time biking together (well before this awful million day rainstorm started grrrr). Falkor really seems to enjoy it and I am seeing increased muscle definition in his legs. We don't go far because I am still building both of our tolerances but it has been really fun. Now if the darn rain would stop!!!!


No comments: