Friday, June 25, 2010

Zoom, zoom, ZOOM!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, we didn't get any RA legs this past weekend :( On Friday, Rally was scheduled to start at around 1pm and I wanted to be at the show site about an hour to an hour and a half before we were going to show so I could wear Falkor out a bit and get him used to the show site. He gets VERY excited when we arrive at a show site and it takes him a while to settle in. Welllll we left Des Moines so we would arrive at the show site around 11:00-11:30....we missed the exit (I think while driving through a storm complete with tornado warnings) and got to the show site at 12:50!!!!!!!!!! I honestly thought we were going to miss our ring time entirely. I should have just scratched since we got there so late but the course was really nice and I felt we could totally do it. So we get about half way through the course and get to the jump...he takes the jump and gets the super, duper ultra zoomies. He zoomed ALL over the ring, out of the ring and back in the ring. This zoomie episode was of epic proportions complete with flying lips and people in the crowd marveling "I didn't think a Dane could move that fast!". I finally got him and the judge said "I'm so sorry" and we left. I think I should petition the AKC to offer a title in zooming. I have no doubt that Falkor would be a zoomie champion!

I debated allllll day about whether to scratch on Saturday. I decided that I would work him really hard on Saturday morning to tire him out and walk him around the show site, check out the course and then decide. I got him worn out a bit and the course was really nice again. I decided to give it a shot. Falkor seemed really calm and content before we entered the ring but right when we got to the start sign he slammed into a down flat on the floor. I asked him to sit and he did and we started...he was really, really stressed. We got about half way through and he wouldn't front on the halt...call dog to front sign. I tried it twice and he was just getting more stressed. He started looking toward the gate entrance and I was worried he was going to bolt for it. I called him to me, took his collar and asked told the judge I was sorry. I know a big part of it was that I was SOOOOO stressed out worried that he was going to get the super zoomies again and he could tell I was way stressed out which stressed him out. It sucks because he doesn't' do this stuff at our obedience club building and we have SO few fun matches out here at different places, which is what we really need. We won't be trialing again for a loooong time until we can get this stuff sorted out. So I am bummed things didn't turn out better but what can ya do??

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

That is a bummer, but I think you're doing what you can. Falkor's young and sometimes they just have to grow up mentally. I remember the first few times that I trialed Bess in agility. Hoo doggy! Zoomies were her favorite thing! She's also playfully tackled a judge. Things are really starting to click for her now though in both agility and obedience. I think she just needed to grow up mentally before she could keep the zooming under wraps.