Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ok so we live in Iowa....

and I can't find a freaking field to run Falkor in??!!! I drove around for an hour last night trying to find a field/open space that would be good to let Falkor run around in. During the obedience seminar we attended Janice suggested that I find a huge, open place that Falkor can run in and burn off his zoomies. I had thought I had the perfect place scoped out, but when we drove out there last night there was a car blocking the road that lead into the field and since I was out in the boonies I didn't want to drive my car over to the other car to see if anyone was inside. Then we checked out a huge field that is actually a bunch of old soccer fields but we had a ton of rain yesterday and the field was a soggy, muddy mess.

West Des Moines actually has a very nice HUGE dog park, but a lot of really dumb dog owners go there and Falkor doesn't always get along well with large intact male dogs. It's not worth trying to go there and risking a possible dog fight.

I thought it would be really easy to find a big, open field since we live in Iowa for pete's sake!!! I am going to chat with some dog people from my obedience club and see if anyone has any recommendations of places we could try.

We had Rally class on Thursday and our instructor had a really great course for us to work on and Falkor did a nice job. He just LOVES Rally and gets so excited to perform each station. We starting working on the "Moving stand, walk around dog" and we've been practicing it alot since Thursday. We are also working hard on our left pivots which can be hard for a big dog. I need to help Falkor find a happy medium. He will either barely move his butt and scootch into place (usually if he's distracted) or he will do a ginormous leap with all four feet off the floor and usually land in place. LOL I think Falkor's mottos is "Go big, or go home". :)

No comments: