Melinda over at Exercise Finished had this quote at the top of her last post and I LOVE it!
“It is better to do something and fail than to do nothing and succeed.”
I have been working really hard with Falkor on his zoomie issue and we had a very encouraging training session today. I took him and our handy, dandy quicky jump to a local tennis court. I've taken him to tennis courts in the past to exercise him and I thought it would interesting to try to focus only on training. So I set the jump up first and then got Falkor out of the car. I kept him on leash for a few minutes while we did a little warming up and then I took the leash off. I fully expected him to zoom off after he figured out he was free since we've used courts before to burn off energy, but he stayed right with me! We did some more warming up and then did some pretend rally stations. He was doing really well so I adding in the jump. We did the jump a bunch of times in between other rally exercises and he didn't zoom at all! I was kinda hoping that he would so I could try a few of the ideas I have to settle him down. He was so attentive and happy.
Now I know that this session nothing like a real trial, and doesn't come with the typical trial anxiety but it was still encouraging for me. Then we went to Bass Pro Shop and worked some basic obedience stuff. At one point we had a small crowd of employees watching me put Falkor through his paces. :)
The weather is GORGEOUS today and we are all loving it!! 71 degrees with sunshine and a quite a breeze!!
“It is better to do something and fail than to do nothing and succeed.”
I have been working really hard with Falkor on his zoomie issue and we had a very encouraging training session today. I took him and our handy, dandy quicky jump to a local tennis court. I've taken him to tennis courts in the past to exercise him and I thought it would interesting to try to focus only on training. So I set the jump up first and then got Falkor out of the car. I kept him on leash for a few minutes while we did a little warming up and then I took the leash off. I fully expected him to zoom off after he figured out he was free since we've used courts before to burn off energy, but he stayed right with me! We did some more warming up and then did some pretend rally stations. He was doing really well so I adding in the jump. We did the jump a bunch of times in between other rally exercises and he didn't zoom at all! I was kinda hoping that he would so I could try a few of the ideas I have to settle him down. He was so attentive and happy.
Now I know that this session nothing like a real trial, and doesn't come with the typical trial anxiety but it was still encouraging for me. Then we went to Bass Pro Shop and worked some basic obedience stuff. At one point we had a small crowd of employees watching me put Falkor through his paces. :)
The weather is GORGEOUS today and we are all loving it!! 71 degrees with sunshine and a quite a breeze!!

No comments:
Post a Comment