Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Deer and Ducks and Snakes, oh my!

Jackson and I took Falkor and Famke to our favorite field over the weekend to get some exercise and to enjoy the insanely beautiful weather. I'm able to let Falkor off leash to run around and investigate but I don't trust Famke off leash at all right now. She is most definitely a sporting breed and any critter movement sends her off flying.

We started off our little hike and while walking along the rock path I was a foot step away from stepping on a little garter snake sunning itself. Jackson was so excited to see his first snake in the wild, and luckily Famke was distracted by some birds otherwise I think she would have be on that poor snake in a flash. Falkor saw it but wasn't really interested. Phew.

We continued along and as I happened to look up a HUGE Buck came shooting out of the woods about 30 feet in front of us. Famke saw him immediately and was nearly levitating on the end of her Flexi (yeah good thing she wasn't off leash!). I was relieved that Falkor was distracted at the edge of the water and didn't even see the deer. Although he has a great recall in his field I haven't had to try to call him off a running deer before!

After our deer encounter, we walked along the edge the water and the dogs enjoyed splashing around and chasing each other. A handful of ducks decided that it might be a good idea to land in the water right where we were. Really??!! Famke was just beyond herself with excitement and luckily Falkor didn't care at all. The dogs were good and tired after our wildlife adventure and Jackson was so thrilled to tell Mark about all the animals we got to see.

No comments: