We had a conformation show this past weekend hosted by the Central Iowa Kennel Club and held at the Des Moines fairgrounds. We usually enter this show because it's in our backyard and we get to hang out with lots of our friends. Famke hadn't been in the conformation ring since September so I thought it would be a good idea to get her back out there anyway.
On Saturday there were 5 bitches entered but only 4 showed up and I nearly passed out when the judge pointed to us for Winners Bitch! I honestly was not expecting to win and it was a very nice surprise. It's not that Famke didn't show well, she showed beautifully, it's just that she is little on the small side and looks less mature than other bitches her age.
Then on Sunday Famke was winners bitch again with 3 girls entered! It was another pleasant surprise and she showed her little heart out again.
Famke is a total joy to show! I have no idea how I lucked out with such a natural show dog as my first conformation prospect. When I first got Famke I had just planned to show her in conformation for fun and to learn more about it. I learned about the whole conformation game while showing her and she was a natural right from the beginning. She LOVES it and she is so darn happy and animated while showing that you can't help but smile. She seems to feed off the attention of the judge and onlookers.
I have been struggling with the decision about whether or not to spay Famke. After her heat cycles she gets into this weird funk where she is spooky, noise sensitive, and fearful, which is NOT her. And this weird funk lasts for months. Not so much fun for a performance dog! Now I am trying to decide if we should hold off spaying her to pursue her championship. She has 9 or 10 points so far, so she still needs two 3 point majors. We have only been to two shows where there were majors in Fieldies...the 2011 National and a huge supported entry show. We haven't had much opportunity. It is really hard to find majors for Fieldies in the Midwest so I would have to do some traveling. Ughh I just don't know!
Decisions, decisions!!!
On Saturday there were 5 bitches entered but only 4 showed up and I nearly passed out when the judge pointed to us for Winners Bitch! I honestly was not expecting to win and it was a very nice surprise. It's not that Famke didn't show well, she showed beautifully, it's just that she is little on the small side and looks less mature than other bitches her age.
Then on Sunday Famke was winners bitch again with 3 girls entered! It was another pleasant surprise and she showed her little heart out again.
Famke is a total joy to show! I have no idea how I lucked out with such a natural show dog as my first conformation prospect. When I first got Famke I had just planned to show her in conformation for fun and to learn more about it. I learned about the whole conformation game while showing her and she was a natural right from the beginning. She LOVES it and she is so darn happy and animated while showing that you can't help but smile. She seems to feed off the attention of the judge and onlookers.
I have been struggling with the decision about whether or not to spay Famke. After her heat cycles she gets into this weird funk where she is spooky, noise sensitive, and fearful, which is NOT her. And this weird funk lasts for months. Not so much fun for a performance dog! Now I am trying to decide if we should hold off spaying her to pursue her championship. She has 9 or 10 points so far, so she still needs two 3 point majors. We have only been to two shows where there were majors in Fieldies...the 2011 National and a huge supported entry show. We haven't had much opportunity. It is really hard to find majors for Fieldies in the Midwest so I would have to do some traveling. Ughh I just don't know!
Decisions, decisions!!!

2 comments:
Big congrats on Famke's wins! That is awesome. Conformation can be lots of fun - especially when you're winning : )
That is so awesome! Good girl! Good luck finding those majors if you decide to keep going. That's what kept me out of the breed ring with Phoenix. Didn't want to drive all over the country chasing points. Maybe I'll do that in obedience instead, ha-ha!
Post a Comment