We have been officially tracking for a month now and I can't believe how far we have come! I am totally new to tracking and was feeling a bit overwhelmed about not knowing anything in the beginning, but I feel much more comfortable now. Falkor lurves tracking and gets SO excited when I get our tracking gear out of the van. We have done over 15 different tracking sessions (many with multiple tracks) so far and we are up to working on turns and aging the tracks up to 20 minutes.
I do need to get myself a nice tracking line because when Falkor is really on track he pulls hard and fast and my crappy nylon long line burns my hands.
On a sad note poor Falkor has the dreaded "happy tail". Most Great Dane owners know what that is, but in a nutshell it's when a dog gets a wound on their tail from wagging it hard on various surfaces. Falkor carries his tail very high for a Dane and he wags it HARD. He wags it so hard that when it hits you it feels like a bull whip!
Unfortunately, the way our house is laid out there is a circle through the kitchen and he hits his tail on every door frame. :( He was making it bleed very occasionally but now he has a real wound on it and I had to rig something up to protect him from himself. I found out about this tail healing method from a Dane friend and there is a great website that explains it very well. Healing Happy Tail I got Falkor hooked up today and I was really surprised that it doesn't seem to bother him. He was confused why he couldn't wag his tail at first. LOL Hopefully this will work and his tail will heal well. I LOVE his tail and I would be heartbroken if we have to do surgery.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Poor Falkor!! It sucks to be such a happy boy that you injure yourself. We had a dane staying with us for a brief period of time who had the same problem, but on the tip of her tail. Painted the walls red.:P She went back to her mom though before we really figured out how to resolve it. Glad you found a way!
When Prime was about 6 months old he had "happy tail" and we ended up with blood ALL over the walls. It was awful. Thankfully with some TLC we got it healed up and he hasn't busted it since. I'll think happy thoughts for you guys.
Post a Comment